Monday, December 3, 2012

Sarah Jane Dias


“Game will always remain a film that I’ll be the most proud of” 

By Ankita R Kanabar



(This interview was published in the Diwali issue - November 10 issue of Super Cinema)

Former beauty queen, model, and now an actress. While Sarah Jane Dias’ debut film ‘Game’, opposite Abhishek Bachchan wasn’t as successful as it could have been, the debutante was still noticed. Though, Sarah admits that she couldn’t have asked for a better debut. She’s young, and quite new to Hindi films, so she’s just giving in completely to the good offers coming her way. And hopefully, you can expect this lady to make it big here. After all, she has everything going for her – great looks, great body, and zest to perform well. When I spoke to Sarah, she told me that she’s currently shooting for Atul Agnihotri’s film. And that’s about it. She is tight-lipped, and doesn’t divulge anything else about this project. Now, that has got us curious. But she did speak to us about a lot of other things including her last outing, ‘Kyaa Super Kool Hai Hum’, that proved successful at the box office.

Your role in ‘Game’ was a full-fledged heroine-role. Didn’t you have any apprehensions before doing the film.
I’ve always said this, and I shall maintain that ‘Game’ will always remain a film, that I’m be most proud of. To be making my debut with a production house like Excel Enterainment is a big thing for me since I’ve always been a fan of the movies made under their banner, right from ‘Dil Chahta Hai’. So, even when I went for auditions, I was just praying from inside to get the role. And when we were all sitting together for our first reading session, I was like where am I and how did I land here? Because sitting besides people like Abhishek Bachchan, Boman Irani, Shahana Goswami, and everyone. I mean ‘Game’ was my dream debut, since I got to work with such a team.

‘Game’ was essentially a good film. Wonder why it didn’t work at the box office. Do you think it could have been backed by a strong promotional strategy?
Yes, you know people who’ve not gone to the theatre to see the film, and who’ve seen it later at home on DVD or on TV, have all told me that they loved the film and wonder why it didn’t work. So, I never really understood why it didn’t work. And I agree that promotions and marketing form a very important part of any film, but I’m still very new to the industry and don’t have much knowledge still about this whole marketing process, and how important it is to a film. Though, when I compare the promotional activities of ‘Game’ and ‘Kyaa Super Kool Hai Hum’, there was a huge difference.

The response to ‘Kyaa Super Kool Hai Hum’, must have made you really happy...
You know, comedy is not an easy genre to attempt, specially, if I may use the word, ‘shameless’ comedy that ‘Kyaa Super Kool Hai Hum’ had, was not easy at all. So, I was thrilled when the film did well, and when people came and told me that I did a fantastic job in the film. It’s a very re-assuring feeling. And earlier I thought, the film would be very challenging for me, but our director Sachin Yardi told me to not think much, or take myself too seriously. He asked us to just do a particular scene spontaneously. Though, in real life, I’m quite fun-loving, and sometimes get talk shamelessly with my friends, so I could get into my character well.



What are you working on, at the moment?
At the moment, I’m shooting for Atul Agnihotri’s film, and I’m so excited about it. Atul Agnihotri is a wonderful producer, and I was offered the film just a week or two after ‘Kyaa Super Kool Hai Hum’, but that’s all I can say about the film. Atul has strictly told me, ‘I know you are all excited about the film and want to tell everybody about it, but please don’t say anything at the moment.’

Any dream role that you have?
I would have wanted to do Priyanka Chopra’s role in ‘Fashion’. That’s a role, I would die for. I’m not saying I could do the role as good as Priyanka or better than her, but just the whole character and film is something I really love, and wish I could do.

Which are the filmmakers you really wish to do a film with?
Karan Johar, Farhan Akhtar, Anurag Kashyap....oh the list is really long! Most of the directors that we have today.

Any other projects that you’ve signed at the moment?
I can’t say anything right now. Just in talks with few people, for few very interesting films. Hopefully, by next month, things shall get finalised. But all I would say is that I feel I’m really blessed and fortunate enough for the kind of offers coming my way.



We’ve heard you sing as well, in your free time...
I sing and even write songs in my free time. I also love cooking and travelling, when I’m not working.

The secret to your perfect ten body?
Eat well, and work out more.

Do you celebrate Diwali?
I’m a catholic, however, I love celebrating festivals like ‘Diwali’ and ‘Eid’ because they give a great sense of happiness. I usually go to a friend’s house and we light diyas, play cards and eat lots of sweets. Though, for me, Diwali is like a prelude to Christmas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment