Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Parineeti Chopra

“I feel great about being in a position where people expect something from me or look forward to my work” 


By Ankita R. Kanabar

She might have had a slightly low profile at the movies this year, but Parineeti Chopra is making heads turn with her new, super avatar. She’s fitter and happier. But some things don’t change, do they? Like her effervescence or contagious energy…even if you’re having a telephonic conversation with her! In a brief chat, she gets talking to us about dealing with criticism, why she’s so secure and the feeling of finally having her own place…


 Has it been a conscious decision to take it slow this year? 
I was setting up my own house, that took about six months and then I really wanted to concentrate on my health. So, I took time off to just pay attention to that. Also, I’m still reading a lot of scripts. So hopefully, I will announce something soon.

Last year, while there was ‘Hasee Toh Phasee’ with its own quirks, ‘Kill Dil’ was more in the glamourous, commercial space. What gets more difficult?
I’m glad that last year I had these diverse roles irrespective of how the films did. However, in any kind of role, you’re acting eventually, so there’s some challenge in every film you do. But that’s what makes it great. It gets boring to do similar things otherwise.

You made your debut with ‘Ladies vs Ricky Bahl’ which had three other actresses, yet you got noticed and ever since, you’ve always exuded a sense of security.
I didn’t even have 1/5th of a role in ‘Ladies vs Ricky Bahl’ but I’m glad people noticed me and I also got the best debut award. But I’m a very secure person in my head in any case, and people who’re close to me appreciate that. That’s just my personality. Things that other people do, don’t affect me. I care about my work, my team and people I work with.

To have kind of security despite a fair share of criticism coming your way…how have you managed to take it all with a pinch of salt?
I’ve always been subjected to criticism – be it my looks or later my choice of films. But yes, I have been positive about it because eventually you have to set goals for yourself and work on them. For instance, I was worried about my health so I took time off to work on it and now I feel good. So, the idea is to concentrate on what you think is good for you. But I feel great about being in a position where people expect something from me or look forward to my work. You have to keep honing your skills. Eventually you cannot take everything so seriously. It’s important to realise that there’s much more to life.

But being an actor, isn’t it difficult to have a life beyond movies sometimes?
It is! When you’re on set all day, actually giving in all your emotions, it can get difficult. Sometimes you might have to cry all day, so you end up being in that zone. It’s difficult to have a personal life when you’re an actor. But it’s important to surround yourself with certain people, friends and family who let you have a life outside of movies.

You’ve also accomplished another goal of having your own house, what’s that feeling like?

Earlier when I was staying in a rented apartment, it was difficult to even hang a painting on the wall, because it wasn’t my house. But finally having your own place and decorating it your way is a great feeling. I’ve set it up myself the way I wanted it to be. It’s a happy, comfortable space.

No comments:

Post a Comment